My name is Dr. Thalheimer. I founded The Tutoring Center in California in 1994 and I have seen my Company grow to become one of the leading after school learning companies in the United States. Before starting my Company I attended UCSD, Dartmouth College and La Salle University with degrees in Psychology and Education. In between my undergraduate and graduate degrees, I served in the United States Navy as the Nuclear Weapons Officer on board a Nuclear Trident Submarine. After the Navy, I started the first tutoring clinic for children with genetic disabilities at the City of Hope Medical Center in Duarte, California. In my spare time, I love to travel with my family, wrestle with my daughter, take “road trips” with my Gold Wing motorcycle and train in the Martial Arts (for the past 25years) achieving a 7th Degree Black Belt in Kenpo Karate, and a Blue Belt in Gracie Ju Jitsu. I am also very proud to have started the first state-of-the art martial arts facility in Kenya, Africa in 2013.
1. Tell us about The Tutoring Center concept. The Tutoring Center concept is structured around The Rotational Approach To Learning. It is a business that is centered on a tutoring model that is researched based with proven results. Our Franchise was developed allowing Franchisees to give back to their community, have more time with family and friends, and to change the lives of students in big ways; all the while allowing Franchisees to be their own boss, run their own business and make money.
2. How and when did you become involved with The Tutoring Center ? I am the President/Founder of The Tutoring Center (Dr. Thalheimer). I have always understood the importance of educating our youth and getting them on the right path. My studies in college led me to uncover flaws in the ‘then’ after school programs. I founded The Tutoring Center based on successful studies and research I conducted using specific techniques to tutor children. Never before had a learning program addressed such a large array of issues such as: distractions, motivation, student to teacher dynamics, focus and concentration. After personally witnessing the success of these techniques I was able to tutor more children on a much bigger scale.
3. What are some of the advantages in being a franchisee of The Tutoring Center? Besides being their own boss, having our guidance each step of the way, giving back to their community and changing the lives of children in big ways, the biggest advantage of becoming one of our Franchisees is the strength of our System. The Franchise Fee licenses our Franchisees to use this System. The Tutoring Center’s System is time-tested for decades, proven to achieve substantial results and easy to learn. The Tutoring Center System separates us from all other learning franchises. The competition cannot compete with our level of individual attention and quality!
4. Who is your ideal franchisee? Our ideal candidate seeks a balance between work and time with family and friends; is one who is passionate to help children thrive, possess an entrepreneurial spirit, and the drive to achieve. We seek individuals who possess traits of Integrity, Quality, Enthusiasm, Service, and Teamwork because we know these traits result in success!
5. Tell us a little about the Educational/Tutoring Market? The tutoring market is constantly growing. We fulfill a very unique niche in the after school tutoring industry as a result of budget cuts for schools, higher demands on teachers, class sizes being too large and still increasing. The Tutoring Center is the only company that addresses the issue children have with attention span while studying. Many after school programs lump kids together which creates added distractions and unhealthy competition between students.
6. What are some of the greatest lessons you’ve learned in growing this franchise? There have been many, but the one greatest lesson in a word, Alignment. Aligning expectations between Franchisor and Franchisees and the families we tutor has lead to our growth and success. Using our Guiding Principles of IQUEST we have made sure that each level of our business is aligned with the next on the principles of Integrity, Quality, Enthusiasm, Service and Teamwork. This kind of commitment to excellence resonates through a community and keeps our franchisees successful and happy.
7. Do you have a mentor and is there someone you use for inspiration? One of my mentors was my father. He taught me about Character, Ethics and Integrity. He also taught me the value of having an education. Having been a Nuclear Submariner Officer taught me about simplicity and hard work, organization and leadership. For inspiration, I turn to those who have come before me, such as: John Wooden, Brian Tracy, Dale Carnegie. John Wooden has always been one of my mentors. The lessons that he has taught can be applied across the spectrum of life. His ideas and teachings have not only inspired me, but have helped shape The Tutoring Center into what it is today; and like most fathers, I look at my daughter for inspiration. I think about all that I want for her as she travels along her educational journey - and I want these same things for all students: for them to have confidence in their skills and abilities and to have great success.
8. What advice do you have for someone looking to acquire a Franchise? I would advise someone interested in Franchising to ask themselves what it is they want to do on a daily basis. If you are interested in health and fitness then go research some of the many great gym-related franchise opportunities. If you are interested in enriching children's lives then definitely give The Tutoring Center a close look. The most important thing one can do is complete his/her research and due diligence. Make sure the business you go into matches your desires and values. We require our franchisees to complete their due diligence before we let them sign a franchise agreement. This becomes a win win win for all involved. When our franchisees are happy and successful, our job as a franchisor is much easier.
9. In your opinion, why do you think that The Tutoring Center would be a great opportunity for someone? The Tutoring Center is a great opportunity because it allows our franchisees to change lives, including their own. Our franchisees are given an opportunity to give back to the community, spend more time with their family and friends, and change the lives of children in their area for forever. What can be better than that?!