Interview with Mark Siebert - CEO, iFranchise Group
CEOof iFranchise Group, Mark C. Siebert has been consulting to franchisors since1985, and has worked with some of the most successful franchisors in the world,including Ace Hardware, Bridgestone/Firestone, Chem-Dry, Chevron, HoneyBakedHam, McDonald’s, Tribune Companies, and many others. For nearly three decades, Siebert acted asconsultant to over 30 Fortune 2000companies and well over 500 start-up franchisors. In 2002, Siebert was named to the prestigious“20 to Watch” issue of Franchise Times.He is a former board member of the American Association of Franchisees andDealers, and is active in the International Franchise Association and itsFranchise Relations Committee. Siebert has received three major awards for hisfranchise related activities, is widely quoted in the business press. Siebertis the author of dozens of articles on franchising, as well as the book, Franchise Your Business, The Guide toEmploying the Greatest Growth Strategy Ever.
Franchise Expo: Tellus about the iFranchise Group concept?
FE: Howand when did you become involved with iFranchise Group?
FE: Whatwas your background prior to founding iFranchise Group?
MS: I have been in franchise consultingfor over 30 years.
FE: Tellus a little about the franchise consulting industry?
MS: Franchising in the Information Age enablesbusiness owners to grow innovative concepts into viable businesses, introducenew products and services with lightning speed, and transform dynamic,growth-oriented companies into regional, national and internationalpowerhouses.
Franchise consulting services run the gamut,and can be tailored to three markets: companies seeking to franchise abusiness, companies who are already franchising, and manufacturers sellingthrough dealers or distributors.
Services that iFranchise Group offers tothese various franchisor or business profiles include:
- Franchise Feasibility Assessment & Market Studies
- Franchise Development for New Franchise Programs
- Strategic Planning for Franchise Growth
- Franchise Operations & Training Documentation
- Franchisee Recruitment Marketing Strategies
- Franchise Sales Brochures
- Franchise Sales Training
- Franchise Implementation & Compliance Training
- Website Content & Optimization
- Franchise Sales and Training Videos
- Implementation Consulting & Assistance
- Franchise Organizational or Sales & Marketing Audits
- Franchise System Best Practices and Benchmarking
- Advertising Fund Consulting and Administration
- Improved Franchisee Relations and Communications
- Refinement of Franchisee Support Systems
- Franchisee Relations and Franchisee Council Development
- International Expansion Planning & Market Analysis
- Dealer Conversion Assistance
- Franchise Implementation Plans
- Non-Franchising Expansion Strategies
- Business Plans for Fundraising
- Prototype Development Consulting
- Name Selection & Logo Design
- Expert Witness Consulting & Testimony
- Due Diligence Assistance for Mergers & Acquisitions
FE: Whatadvice do you have for someone looking to franchise a business?
MS: An appropriate first step in the decision tofranchise is an examination of the question of whether or not a businessconcept is actually “franchisable.” Any organization seriously consideringfranchising should undertake this analysis before implementing a franchisestrategy. While it is impossible to determine the franchisability of a businessconcept without a significant amount of analysis, the iFranchise Group hasidentified a serious of predictive criteria that assess thereadiness of a company for franchising and the likelihood that it will achievesuccess as a franchisor, including: company credibility, differentiation,adaptability, documented systems, an established prototype, adequate ROI, andmore.
FE: In your opinion, why do you thinkthat franchising would be a great opportunity for a business owner?
- Use of Others’ Capital & Higher Return on Investment
- Risk Reduction
- Limited Contingent Liability & Reduced Vicarious Liability
- Increased Speed of Growth
- Reduced Role in Day-to-Day Operations
- Highly Motivated, Longer-Term Management
- Better Unit Performance & Quality Control
- Leaner Structure
- Effective Brand Building & Advertising
- International Expansion Potential
Vince Caffarello of Duraclean International
Vince Caffarello started in the Cleaning & Restoration Industry on April 4, 1960. He began with ServiceMaster as a salesman of cleaning services, in their company owned Chicago branch office.